Examination rules for students of General Medicine
Examination rules for students of General Medicine
Rules for performance of examination at the Institute of Biology and Medical Genetics in the subject Biology and Genetics 2 (B80360, B83121) - academic year 2020/2021
Specifying the examination dates
The final examination is required to complete the subject Biology and Genetics 2 (B80360, B83121) in the winter semester.
The examination dates are set during the regular examination period of the winter semester. All dates are entered in the SIS, together with the information specifying the start of registration and the deadlines for (un)registraion.
We want to draw attention to the government regulation stating that any student can attend classes, exams, or other activities at the university only if the following conditions are met:
• the student is without any acute symptoms corresponding to virus-caused infectious disease (e.g. fever, cough, respiratory distress, sudden loss of taste or smell, etc.); he or she will provide a solemn declaration about the nonexistence of symptoms of viral infectious disease.
• at entrance to the examination room, the student will disinfect his/her hands; the university will provide the disinfectant; students are required to use face coverings (typically a cloth covering for the nose and mouth) across all University buildings
• the student is at the time of the exam not quarantined
The following list of examination dates and times (also called “terms”) is final.
· Pre-term will take place on January 19th, 2021 (at 12:00, 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.): students are eligible to register for pre-term after fulfilling the study obligations necessary for obtaining the credit.
· Terms in the regular examination period of the winter semester (from January 25th to February 19th, 2020).
· During the second half of March, further terms will be announced for the regular examination period of the summer semester, for the summer holiday time (second half of August), and for the second part of the regular examination period (beginning of September). No further terms apart those mentioned above will be announced.
Rules for registration for exams and cancellation
The start dates and times of registration for examination dates will be entered in SIS. For the pre-term and regular terms, registration is possible starting December 15th, 6 p.m.
Registration for particular examination dates (“terms”) will be possible up to 1 day prior to the date of the exam.
Cancellation of the registration for the preterm will be possible till January 17th, 2021 (10 p.m.). Cancellation of the registration for the regular terms will be possible up to 1 day prior to the date of the exam (e.g. the registration for exam on Thursday Jan 28th may ba cancelled till Tuesday Jan 26th, 10 p.m.)
Registration for an exam is not conditional upon obtaining the credit but taking the exam is, apart from the credit in the given subject, also limited by completion of any subject that is specified as a (pre)requisite. A student who fails to meet the given requisites will be deleted from the list for the term before examination, of which he/she will be informed by e-mail. This deletion will not reduce the number of terms further available for the student. A student can only take the exam if registered for the term in SIS, and when all requisites for the exam have been met.
Requirements for obtaining credit:
1. Successful completion (passing) of all three tests.
2. Completion of practical training protocols and making them available to teachers on-line. There are two possibilities where to upload the files: a) Google disk or another repository that is free of charge and does not need an extra registration by the teacher; b) Charles University provides OwnCloud solution with 100GB space and possibility of sharing, teachers and students can access it for free through eduID (CAS) system (therefore ISIC number and SIS password should work): https://www.cesnet.cz/services/owncloud/?lang=en
Failure to turn up for examination and apology
The student who fails to turn up for the examination that he/she has registered for without prior apology, forfeits the examination term without receiving a mark.
After forfeiting an examination term, the student can register for another examination date. Belated apology can be accepted only in case of serious and documented circumstances. The guarantor of the subject decides on the appropriateness of the apology (see Rules of Study at the First Faculty of Medicine of Charles University). The student must apologise to the principal teacher of the subject (or to the person authorized by the latter) in writing or in electronic mail, giving and substantiating the reasons for the apology. The guarantor of the subject can request specification of the apology or its reasons if he/she finds the apology insufficient.
A student can take an examination in a subject for three times as a maximum, i.e. the student is entitled to two re-examinations, and no extraordinary terms beyond that are allowed (Regulations, Article 6, Subsection 16). However, if the student does not exploit the above options within the set examination dates, this does not entitle him/her to a special date of examination to be appointed for him/her personally (ibid.). No more examination dates (“terms”) will be set. Further, no examinations can be taken after the end of the second part of the regular examination period in September, or after the last term announced.
Rules pertaining to the course of examination.
The final examination from Biology and Genetics 2 will be only in the form of oral exam (i.e. no introductory written test is administered and required). The student draws a triplet of exam questions and is entitled to 15-20 minutes of preparation, and then takes the exam. Failure to answer one of the three questions in a satisfactory manner entitles the examiner to end the exam and to grade the attempt as “fail” (see Code of study and examination, Part 2, Article 8 - https://cuni.cz/UKEN-726.html). Exam questions and recommended study materials are published using SIS and the web page of the Institute.
December 11th, 2020
Prof. Ondřej Šeda, M.D., Ph.D.
Head of Institute of Biology and Medical Genetics
If you think the article is not up-to-date, click here.